Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sirius Problem

No, that's not a typo. If you've been following my trades since I began this blog (and even more recently since I signed up on Covestor), you'll notice two stocks in my portfolio that I never mention: SIRI (Sirius XM) and THMR (formerly TMA, or Thornburg Mortgage). Everyone has skeletons in their trading closets, and these fellas are mine. I've ridden them down to almost nothing from about six months ago. I haven't the heart to part with them now, even though they continue to bludgeon me while yelling 'Yee-haw' on their way toward Subpennyland. Have any skeletons you'd like to share?

Besides the fact that Sirius's recent 'possible' bankruptcy news has eaten my gains from yesterday, I decided to short ARNA, and completely ignore rules #1-#3,#5 of my strategy. Everyone does this from time to time, but since I'm forced to ride my mistakes out (Rule #7), this trade could get ugly before the sun comes out. At least I only shorted 150 shares, and the stock is eventually due for a reckoning.

Learning about discipline the hard way,

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment