Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Four Horsemen

So while the world of finance came a-crumblin' down again today, being short MAXY, GERN, PALM, and SKYT (even though SKYT gained .01) paid quite well. Covestor is usually one day behind on updating their clients' portfolio values, but somehow my link (on the right) is two. I can't wait for it to show my most recent shellacking of the S&P. I would rather have the chart showing myself vs. Timothy Sykes (currently #1 on Covestor), but can't figure out how to configure the widget that way (any suggestions?).

I made two trades today, both profitable and loss preventing. I don't mind admitting that the talking heads over at Yahoo! Finance message boards are beginning to get into my head. Seriously, I don't know why I even read the ridiculous posts (9 out of 10 are bias with an agenda), but GERN is a stock focused on stem cell research, a science nobody really knows what to expect from yet. Given that Obama fully supports this type of research, I sold 100 of my 200 shares of GERN today at 7.48. I know, I know- I'm letting fundamentals interfere with my technical positions. I'm still learning the 'true' relationship between fundamentals and penny stocks.

Today was all MAXY needed to finally drift back below my initial buy (how many months ago?), so I covered 100 shares of my 300 at 8.17 near the close. I did this for three reasons:

1. Didn't want to be greedy (been there done that at the end of a down day only to see a gap up the next morning).
2. There was an earnings announcement after close. Don't think MAXY has a prayer (announcement hasn't come out yet 7:27pm 2/10/09), but why risk all 300 shares?
3. The stock downtrended aaaalllll day, and I followed Rule #6 of my strategy.

Unfortunately watching the market tread closer to year lows,

Evan

1 comment:

Charlie G. said...

I'm going to start calling you Mr. Metaphor with the titles of your posts....today was a good day to be short! Congrats on the winning trades. GERN looks like it's at a support level despite the political environment favoring that stock. I think it gapped up last month on news. Cheers!

Post a Comment