Sunday, March 1, 2009

That Old Feeling

     My Strategy's 2009 results (so far) would indicate that I may be on to something. That being said, I've been tempted lately to stray off course, and resort back to the types of ideas and trades that never used to pan out so well. Take for instance FAS. This etf (exchange traded fund) is pretty much at all time lows. Simply put, (from Yahoo! Finances) "it seeks to replicate, net of expenses, 300% of the daily performance of the Russell 1000 Financial Services". Here's the chart of FAS (or 'Forget Any Strategy') since it's inception:


     Looking at the last two years (and the wonderful debacle the financial world has found itself in), one may tend to think these 3 things about FAS:

1. It has to have either hit bottom, or come dangerously close. I mean really, how much farther could it drop- it's like $4 now, after being above $50 not too long ago.

2. Man, if I can buy a couple thousand shares Monday, it's sure to reach at least $6-$7 within the next few trading days with all it's violent swings- and I'll look like a cyborg on Covestor!

3. This is the easiest money I could ever make- I'll be able to pay off that credit card debt I got from purchasing every Timothy Sykes DVD!

     The catch is simple. FAS (and the market as a whole) could continue it's slide for the next 6 billion seconds (didn't do the math on that). No matter how 'Candy from a baby' this trade may appear, you'd be basing it on what? Gut feelings, the market 'owes you one', it's in play because Muddy's running a contest on it? (Btw, my guess for that contest, found here, is $7)

Fighting every urge to 'gamble',

Evan

7 comments:

RamtaJogi said...

Please don't do it. ETFs are not meant to be held overnight as they adjust the NAV of them after every trading session. You can win BIG or you can lose BIG.

And as I see the the market conditions, you should rather go LONG FAZ instead of long FAS.

Personally, after booking my biggest loss with FAZ, I am thinking about staying away from financials.

Good luck,
RJ

Anonymous said...

so if you have something that has been working, why do you want to catch a falling knife and gamble? Everybody's been trying to do this for several months now, everybody's been losing.

Anonymous said...

1. "It has to have either hit bottom, or come dangerously close. I mean really, how much farther could it drop- it's like $4 now, after being above $50 not too long ago."
-Sirius XM, 2007

mp said...

I agree RamtaJog tough to get a fell for the trend now. We're down so low and this has been going on so long you never know when the institutions are going to start accumulating.

Charlie G. said...

Sounds like you talked yourself off the ledge. I think FAS is due for a bounce/correction soon, buy would never personally swing trade ETFs/hold overnight. Paper trade them a couple weeks and you will see. They are great trading vehicles though if you can master them.

islandminister said...

Thanks for the comments guys!

Ramta and Charlie,
No etf holds overnight. Check.

Anonymous (aka Eric/wise brother-in-law),
Learn from past mistakes. Check.

Mark,
You're right- and I respect your opinion. Don't know what took me this long to add your blog.

Seriously- did I really trade this after my post?!? If I do get out for a profit, I should take that money and frame this post for future reference. I'm Ridiculous.

ICS Cyber Security said...

I really thanks for this great & wonder full info. it is very efficient and very interesting. i will come back to read some more info.

Binary options brokers

Post a Comment