Friday, January 9, 2009

Can you say 'Afternoon Fade'?

Talk about a textbook technical breakdown late in the afternoon ('fade' is the term I'm now accustomed to thanks to Timothy Sykes)! You'll notice in the chart below, that when our dear friend MAXY (please note that as of right this second- 6:44pm on 1/9/09- I have absolutely no idea what MAXY represents, the company's history, etc.- the fact that both TIM and Darkside originally mentioned them got me to watch the chart, nothing else) broke through the LOD (low of day) of 9.20, it was off to the races.


I'm still short my original 300 shares, having entered at 8.33 (if you're new, my strategy won't let me cover until a trade's profitable). Notice that the lovely AH (After Hours) price of MAXY is one cent above it's high for the day? Can we say 'manipulation'?

HSNI is slowly fading into oblivion once again. I'm still short the 50 shares I plan on covering somewhere in the $4 range.

XTXI (again, have no clue what this ticker symbol even stands for) tanked early on, so I didn't short as I'd planned if it had spiked early in the day. You're welcome to click here to see the XTXI's chart. Be my guest and click the 1 month chart to view the stock's meteoric rise. What goes up...

Enjoy the weekend,

Evan

1 comment:

Charlie G. said...

You may be on to something here. Interesting to contrast it to to Tim's "I cut my loses quickly" approach, though I suspect this is in part just public posturing when a pick of his doesn't tank.

Yes, I know you wouldn't short something like SWIM but even stocks that have the run up you like to short, for example, a metal stock may be find a new mine, or a drug company may get FDA approval, or might get bought out - causing a longer term rocket up. Of course, the same can be said about holding on to a long waiting for it to recover to not take a loss or realize a profit.

Good luck, and hope you can fund your mission trips!

Post a Comment