Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Who's With Me?

Do you ever feel like you know exactly what's going to happen in a given stock, wait for price action to confirm, then do absolutely nothing?! If that doesn't consistently happen to you- you shouldn't be reading this blog (or any blogs for that matter- go kiss your supermodel wife and buy another ferrari ;). The fact is, this happens to all traders (usually after the shellshock of a losing streak- which reminds me of my last post and brings me to my next point): You're a good trader. That's right- YOU, the person reading this blog. I have a fairly accurate headcount of most of you here- and you're all traders (some very experienced). Knowing my audience, I can guarantee 3 things:

1. You know how to read a chart (maybe not expound on Fibonacci retracements, but...)
2. You have 1 or more actual trade accounts online
3. You would trade for a living if you could master your faults (psychological, emotional, etc.)

So what is the one character trait that I believe is keeping the whole lot of us from consistently profiting (and sometimes hitting the motherload on the stocks we call well before price action confirms)? DISCIPLINE. Period. The most successful trading streaks I have are the ones in which I have applied discipline. Like Pavlov's dog, the profits tell me to keep doing what I'm doing in order to experience the same reward. I am extremely confident I can take 10k and turn it into 15k in a matter of weeks- but after about 5k in profits (and it may be a much different amount for you depending on your income level) I break. Do I stop enjoying profits? No, but maybe I get bored from lack of a challenge (I know it sounds ridiculous to get bored of winning). I don't know how to overcome this cycle, but any advise would help. I don't want to be a good trader- I want to be a consistent one. That's the only knid of trader that leaves his day job (or two as the case may be)- one that has figured out how to consistently discipline himself, because he already knows how to trade!

I'm getting closer every opening bell,

Evan

ps- the stocks I knew to play today were OGXI (short when it faded if there were shares), and JVA (after the DDRX run-up, this one was next- and could keep going for days)

pps- Do any of you ever actually click on links in blogs (like if I made the words 'last post' take you to my last post)? The reason I ask is that I could write these things a bit more frequently with my schedule if I didn't think all the extra html work was worth it- you'll notice I don't have any charts or links in this one. Thanks for the input!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you Evan, discipline is definitely what is holding me back. I feel like we're all getting better (you can tell by the slow down in blogging because we're running out of light bulb moments). I know that I get way too cocky after a series of wins, which makes me progressively increase my risk and decrease precautionary measures, then...I get owned and then I'm back to square one. then it goes around and around...etc but I still see progress.

To put it in technical analysis terms, I feel as if my trading is channeling inside of an uptrend in the long term. I could go on with ADR, S/R, lol but you get the picture...

I see the Daily Trading Coach on your May picks, have you read it yet? I feel like the only advice ill ever need on the psychology of trading is in this book, and I'm only 1/3 of the way through with it. If there's anyone that can fix me, I believe it's Dr. Steenbarger.

to your pps: I rarely click on links, charts are nice though.

Keep blogging for the rest of us, and I sincerely hope that all of us make it to the final table.

islandminister said...

Aynul,

Thanks so much for the fast response! I have read most of the books on my 'picks', but I haven't read Dr. Steenbarger's yet. I know it has to be amazing, though, because I follow his blog over at traderfeed.blogspot.com (I'm sure you know it, but anyone reading this should check it out- the guy is brilliant and usually dead-on!)

I think your comment about the lack of 'light bulb' moments may be extremely accurate (many of us started blogging in the past two years and have seen the same market movements).

-Don't worry, I'll be keeping up with the blog (and will be sure to keep the charts coming:)

Charlie G. said...

I click on links but not always.

I have Dr. Brett's book but haven't had the "discipline" yet to read it.

There's always tomorrow..

ICS Cyber Security said...

i'm looking for your blog , that was awesome through and very help full for me please give me more suggestion, related news update and everything.

Bond trading platforms

Post a Comment